POSITION: Sponsorship and Development Manager
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
START DATE: September 6, 2017
POSITION: Flexible hours on a project basis
POST DATE: July 6, 2017
Now entering the 12th season, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (VCBF) has established itself within the culture of Vancouver as the city’s signature springtime event and annual celebration of beauty and rejuvenation. Created in 2005 as a charitable non-profit society, the Festival is an important intra-community arts and culture festival cherished by all. The mission of the Festival is to sustain & renew Vancouver’s cherry tree legacy by educating and actively engaging diverse communities in parks and green spaces through participation in accessible arts and culture opportunities, celebrating the fragile beauty of the Cherry Blossom. The motto of the Festival “there is no stranger under the cherry tree” welcomes inclusion, and celebration of all community groups.
The Director of Development reports to the Executive Director, who founded the Festival and in turn reports to the volunteer Board of Directors. The Project Manager reports to the Executive Director and will also support the Development Director. The Festival contracts the services of others such as a part-time Project Coordinator, Pace Group Communications and Brady Dahmer Design, and is supported by numerous volunteers.
NATURE AND SCOPE
With limited resources, the Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival operates on a three-pronged business model of:
- Creating and producing core programming with revenue and non-revenue generation streams;
- Partnering with 3rd party groups to provide VCBF branding/promotion for shared programming implemented by others with shared revenue generation; and
- Incubating unique cherry blossom themed programming.
Sponsorship, Revenue Generation, Fundraising
The focus of the Sponsorship and Development Manager is revenue generation to support the core activities of the 2018 Festival. This can be done by:
- Leveraging personal corporate contacts and VCBF leads for new corporate sponsorship;
- Growing the Air Canada Raffle and established Sakura Night Gala;
- Special fundraising projects; and
- Fundraising through Individual giving and foundations.
The Sponsorship and Development Manager will know the local sponsorship business contacts and research companies to identify those with the best fit for VCBF, write proposals and meet with potential sponsors. The new hire will generate, operationalize, oversee delivery of sponsor benefits and maintain relationships with new strategic sponsors, while being accountable for the Society.
We’re looking for an experienced individual with a background in sales and marketing and a passion for the arts, or a background in Vancouver arts and cultural organizations with the skill set to cultivate, secure, maintain and grow corporate sponsorship relationships.
You’re a team player wanting to contribute and engage in your community through this exciting opportunity. And, you’re someone that breathes a little deeper and smiles a little broader each spring when the cherry blossoms bloom. More specifically, we need an energetic and strategic keener with:
- Experience with arts and cultural organizations and a proven track record in selling sponsorship and fund development
- Strong verbal and written English skills;
- Experience in public speaking, presentations;
- Strong relationship skills, finessing sponsorship connections
- Ability to balance multiple demands, including prioritizing and meeting deadlines;
- Ability to work independently as well as in a cross-functional team environment;
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Self-motivated, engaging, innovative, positive and proactive;
- A love for Vancouver cherry blossoms (obviously!)
- A fair compensation package
- Friendly team atmosphere
- Ability to work from a south Vancouver office location and/or to work from home;
- A chance to work for a small, well-respected organization looking to grow and set itself up for long-term succession and success.
To apply for this position, submit a resume along with a cover letter to [email protected] by Friday, July 21 with the subject line: Sponsorship & Development Manager. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.